Monday, September 01, 2008

Consequences of Free Speech


Before last Sunday, I would have never considered myself an activist. Actually, it's one description I've shied from since I typically think of hippies and my dreadful stint living in Carrboro, NC. But one DJ's homophobic comment flipped a switch in me.

K97.5, the local hip hop station, uses the same explosions and voice overs that you might hear on every other hip hop station, and most of their DJs sound like a typical high school dropout might. But 97.5 broadcasts a syndicated morning show hosted by Russ Parr. Switching to the Russ Parr morning show from G105.1's Bob and the Showgram wasn't a difficult switch: Redneck, truth or dare humor vs. cultural humor and the occasional political discussion... hmmm.

However, even 97.5 has to hire local DJs to cover the slow hours. And while 8:30 on a Sunday might not be primetime, it's no time for bigots to be on air.

DJ DY Nasty (hopefully an on-air persona and not his Christian name): "...But you know, don't come out like Neo y'all. I mean, keep it straight. Keep it one hundred, ya know."


By the time the DJ had shut his wind hole and started playing the latest hit from T-Pain, I felt my inner, angsty black woman shout, "Oh no he didn't!" She rarely comes out, but when she does, she's been known to get my cousin and me kicked out of a club, etc, etc.

The following is the MySpace messaging that took place between myself and the outrageously uneducated DJ DY Nasty the day after his on-air comment:

Joel:
For all the struggles black people have had to face, thanks for making it even harder for gay people by bashing Neo on air tonight. I stopped listening to 105.1 because of the comments they made about gay people. And now, the one channel I thought I could rely on, a black radio station, has done the exact same thing.

Stop contributing to the hate. You're just redirecting the hate. The enemy of my enemy if my friend, brother.

DJ DY Nasty:
Thanks for listening! Good thing we live here...everyone's opinion matters!

Joel:
You don't have an "opinion." You have a problem.

Your reply made no sense.

If your opinion is hatred. Keep it to yourself. You speak for more than just you.

You kept it 100 up to this far. Now? You're just trash.

DJ DY Nasty (unedited in any way):
Joel listen u probobly are a real cool dude a very stand up guy in what u belive in and i am also, by no meanz was i aiming at gays, u never even heard the word come out of my mouth i was speeking on the point where people should be straight, MEANING=straight up and up front with others instead of holding back thre truth it can only help all of us brotha....lies and holding back only tears is people apart, i say that to say this we live n America every 1 opinion matters even yours thanks for listening dont 4get to visit our website k975.com

Joel:
I hope all the people I emailed at k975.com believe that. You and I know full well that is not what you said.
And I lived up to my word. My emails got someone's attention. I enjoyed a nice conversation with Cy Young, the Programs Director at K97.5 the next day.



No comments: