Friday, February 20, 2009

Starbucks Love Triangle

It's still strange when girls flirt with me. It always makes me think to myself: "Aw, sweetie. You're just barking up the wrong tree." It's a strange, but sadly entertaining, scene to watch unfold. Here was Friday:

I walk out of my house around 1:00pm. I haven't exactly polished up for the day ahead of me. So looking as scruffy as a gay man can, I guess (read: I may not have shaved, but my breath is minty fresh), I decide to actually get out of the house and go get coffee.

So I paused Budo: The Art of Killing, and left to get caffinated.

Starbucks employees come in all flavors. The emo girl. The androgenous boy. The over-weight-over-confident high school senior. And sometimes the manager who walks around trying to get things done while dodging his own over-caffinated, generation Y employees.

My barista with the unfortunate misconception that I might be interested in her beamed at me when I ordered. She laughed at another barista's (actually it was a guy, so... barist..er?) jokes which I couldn't hear. I don't think a joke has ever been so funny. While she laughed at the funniest thing she had ever heard and proved to me she was having the time of her life, I inched my debit card closer to her hand.

She was so happy for some reason, when I walked over to pick up my drink, I couldn't help but wink slightly at the I-don't-know-I'm-gay-yet, high school-aged, barister. Why? I'm not really sure. But I do remember thinking as I left that it would have been awesome if he giddily told his tragically mistaken fellow Starbucker that "that guy" had winked at him. And then her seeing the error of her hilarious ways.

1 comment:

ASSHOLE BOYFRIEND said...

I fucked a cashier guy at a Jamba Juice once.